Saturday 5 February 2011

First step on a journey

I like drinking whisky. But I don't know much about it.

I've tried a few over the past couple of years. The single malts that you see on the supermarket shelves. Glenfiddich. Glenmorangie. Laphroaig. Glenlivet. Balvenie. Probably one or two more that I've forgotten.

But recently I've been thinking that it would be nice to do this a bit more seriously. Learn a bit more about whisky - how it's made, what affects the way it tastes, how to taste it properly. Work my way through a few more single malts. And keep some sort of record as I go; a sort of log of my journey.

Hence this bog.

Journeys are more fun if you have a travelling companion. Someone to share the experience with and compare notes. So I'm going to bring a friend along for the ride. His name is Steve, I've known him for almost 30 years and he likes whisky too. And he's just bought me a bottle of 12 year old Caol Ila.

So tomorrow I think we'll start by tasting that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment